on 10:23 AM

I can just imagine lying on my stomach, listening to soothing music, and falling into a deep relaxation. As a college student, I often find myself stressed out over all the assignments I have to complete in school. Massage is supposed to relieve anxiety and so I decided to experience it for myself. It seems like there are so many different kinds of massage that at first I felt lost in a world of leisure. A Swedish massage uses long fluid strokes of different pressures over the body, while toning the muscles and improving flexibility and circulation. I thought this sounded very soothing. Sports massages are specialized Swedish massages that help athletes keep their muscles and tissue in good condition and relax from stressful training. A medical massage is a Swedish massage geared toward a certain trouble area. Thai massage incorporates yoga with a light massage by stretching with gentle pressures. Reflexology is an ancient Chinese technique that uses pressure points in the hands, feet, and ears to restore energy flow in the body. It is supposed to flush the body of toxins, relax the muscles and stimulate internal organs. I know after a long day of classes I could use some extra energy and stimulation. I knew my body and mind could use a break from school, but I needed to do some research so that I knew what to expect when I went to the massage studio.

To prepare, I did some research on what to expect from a massage. As I started to search, I was overwhelmed by an array of rules and regulations. It is the job of the therapist to ask the client some standard questions to help the therapist understand the body of his or her client. They will ask why you are getting a massage and for some background information about your physical condition, medical history, lifestyle, stress levels, and if you are already experiencing pain in a specific area. They should discuss with you health goals that massage can help you achieve. It is also appropriate to ask about the certification of the therapist and the training they went through. I was then prepared to ask many questions during each massage.

One type of massage that I decided to experience was just a general relaxation massage. I went to The Pilates Wellness Center where my instructor, Tatiana, suggested that I should get a massage in their new studio to relax my muscles after a strenuous workout. Tatiana works me hard and afterwards I could often use some pampering. My therapist?s name was Lorraine and she was very willing to answer all of my questions and help me with my project. After my workout, Lorraine led me to the massage room. To start, she asked me the standard questions that I was prepared for from my research. She told me about her certification through the Florida State Massage Therapy Association as well as the training she is continuously going through. Therapists are required to take classes that add up to 24 credits every two years. They are under a strict regimen to continuously be up to the standards. Lorraine explained that I should take off my clothes and get onto the table, under the blanket. To start, I was instructed to lie on my back and put a pillow underneath my knees. As part of Florida State Massage Regulations, she left the room while I undressed and got situated at the table. This situation was surprisingly not awkward. The therapist was very professional and made me feel comfortable with her. When she came back in I was ready and excited to have my first real massage. First she massaged my head, face, and ears because she was trying to get me to relax a little. The therapist wanted me to get used to her hands and style before she massaged my body. She told me the most beneficial massages for a client are when he or she does nothing and the therapist does everything. As she mentioned this, I realized how important the setting is for a successful massage. I was able to relax with the dimmed lights, comfortable table, and soothing music.

Next, Lorraine started on my shoulders, arms and upper body. She used a cream rather than an oil to keep it less messy. The cream was called BioTone that contained extracts of ivy, which relives soreness in the muscles. On my arms and legs, Lorraine used a technique she called ?stripping,? which is a firm stroking in one direction. This technique is beneficial because muscles are made up of many fibers and when the fibers are aligned it is easier for blood to flow through and oxygen to get to the muscles. This prevents cramping and tightness. My right hip was stiff so it needed some extra attention and forceful kneading. Lorraine explained that joints are susceptible to tightness because of the attachment of muscles to bone.

After my therapist had gone over my body once, she asked me to turn over. At first, she concentrated on my hamstrings because I have a lot of nerve tension that makes the backs of my legs very taut. It was slightly painful since the nerves are involved as well as the muscles; however, afterwards I felt much better. Lorraine then moved up to my gluteus muscles. She told me that butt muscles are often ignored in a massage but they are one of the most important and strained muscles we use. She left the blanket over me because she explained that one of the many regulations of being a therapist is that the client must be covered at all times with the exception of the part being worked on. It was a little weird having a butt massage but I definitely learned to enjoy it quickly. I never realized how important my gluteus muscles are because I use them for everything I do.

To end, my therapist worked on my back. She used a different technique called Swe-Thai, which incorporates Thai and Swedish massages. As I mentioned before, Thai massage uses different pressures while stretching and Swedish massage uses long strokes to elongate the muscles. She went up and down along my spine to alleviate tension. After 55 minutes, my massage was finished. I couldn?t get up from the table right away because I felt sleepy and extremely relaxed. Now twelve hours later after my tough workout with Tatiana, my muscles don?t feel as stressed out as usual. My body feels like paying $75 for a relaxation massage, which seemed standard in my research, was well worth it.

The second type of massage that I experienced was a sports/medical massage. I went to the same massage studio as I did for the first one. For some reason, over the past week my lower back had been hurting. When I went in and told Lorraine this I expected her to work mostly on my back. However, she explained to me that I was probably in pain because my hamstrings were tight. At first, it didn?t make sense to me that my back hurt because of tense hamstrings. My therapist explained that it is common for people with tight hamstrings to have sore gluteus and lower back muscles. I was nervous for her to tough my achy muscles but my therapist quickly put me into the relaxation mode by ?stripping? my whole body again and using some reflexology methods on my feet. Lorraine explained that reflexology is really a simple massage method. The feet, ears, and hands are all maps of the rest of the body. Certain points correlate to different parts of the body. Once the feet relax, the rest of the body follows. As I turned over, I knew the pain was coming, ouch!

The first technique my therapist used was a Thai massage. She stretched my legs out to allow her to ?work? my muscles. Then Lorraine went to work with a tough Swedish massage. She kneaded and ?stripped? my hamstrings and calves. I could tell that she was working hard and putting her whole body weight into the massage. There was definitely A LOT of pain while she was massaging me but I trusted her as a professional. She kneaded my muscles with a lot more force than in my first experience. After she finished my hamstrings, my therapist continued up to my gluteus muscles and then my lower back. She concentrated on this area until the massage was over. This is what made it more of a sports massage because Lorraine focused on a certain area to relieve pain rather than just relaxing all the muscles. Although my muscles felt tired and sore, my back felt much looser and under less pressure. This massage was very different but ultimately achieved the same goal, to relax my tense muscles.

For my last massage, I decided to go to a different place and have a whole new experience. I went to the Sanda Gane Day Spa for an aromatherapy massage at a price of $75. When I first got there, I was invited into a back room where massage patients are allowed to relax and talk to the therapist. My new therapist?s name was Cynthia. She sat down with me and we went through the standard question and answer session. She introduced me to three varieties of scents that I could choose from: citrus, floral, or spicy. Floral scents are used for soothing the senses, spicy for awakening them, and citrus somewhere in between. I thought citrus would be invigorating after a long and tiring day. Cynthia then left me in the sitting room while she prepared my massage therapy room. The waiting room was really dark and had a gorgeous fountain that was bright orange with steam rising from it. Beautiful bouquets of flowers were all around the room, which made me feel welcome in a new place. When my room was ready, Cynthia invited me back into the treatment room. She left me alone to prepare for the table while she got me a glass of water to keep me hydrated.

To my surprise, when I got on the table, the mattress was heated. It was very relaxing upon lying down because I didn?t get that chill when you first crawl under cold sheets. Cynthia came back in and I was eager to begin. I could instantly smell the citrus oils she was using. Since I was having an aromatherapy massage, my therapist used only Swedish massage techniques. For 50 minutes, I lay there while she used long, fluid strokes all over my body. I was so relaxed, I felt like I was going to fall into a deep sleep but the scented oils kept my senses awake. When she told me I was done, I was disappointed it was over. I felt utterly relaxed and completely loosened up. I don?t think I have ever felt better in my life.

I feel like all of my massages accomplished the goal I had set out for in the beginning. Both of my therapists were very professional and highly qualified. The sports massage had the longest lasting effect because the problem areas are targeted and worked out more intensely. I felt great after my first relaxation massage but a lot of the concentration was on learning about the techniques and Lorraine demonstrating them for me. The aromatherapy massage was less involved and more mechanical. I didn?t learn as much from the Day Spa as I did from the Wellness Center. If you are feeling pain in any particular area, I urge you to get a sports massage and share with the therapist any information you can give them. They will help you relieve the soreness in your muscles. The American Massage Therapy Association has a list of certified therapists on their website (www.amtamassage.org) to help you locate one in your area. If you are a typical student, who is just really stressed and cannot find a way to unwind, you should try any kind of relaxation massage. My whole body was suffering from the stressful effects of school. The massage helped my mind and body to be calm. Massage is an incredible experience and I recommend it to anyone who feels like the pressure of school has become overbearing and a threat to your wellness.

I am currently an undergraduate student at the University of Richmond. I am hoping to major in Mathematical Economics but in the meantime I am taking an array of courses, including this Expository Writing class.

Search