on 12:49 PM

Underlying almost all diseases and ailments are some form of bowel disorder! All unwell people have bowel problems and all unwell people are tired ... toxic laden. It's like a sewer system; if the system gets blocked, the body remains soaking up its own toxic waste which is only conducive to disease development.

You may have heard of it as colonic irrigation and also as colonic therapy or most commonly, colonics. The use of colon hydrotherapy is to cleanse, stimulate and rejuvenate the digestive system. A healthy colon is essential for optimal health and wellbeing of the entire body. It is also an important addition to a detoxification program.

I've heard of colon hydrotherapy years ago when England's Princess Diana famously embraced it and until recently, I poo-pooed the mere thought (excuse the pun!) But I can now confidently encourage everyone to do it. You may ask why would anyone want - let alone pay - to have this done.

The human body is designed to be a self-cleansing organism. Unfortunately however, the modern lifestyle often makes it difficult for the bowel to perform its natural functions efficiently.

Well, colonic therapists agree that stress combined with a sedentary, modern lifestyle often makes it difficult for the bowel to perform its natural functions efficiently and is responsible for most of what ails us.

In fact, it was just such a lifestyle that prompted me to try colon hydrotherapy. I've been feeling increasingly bloated and my various skin problems were not improving. On top of that, my visits to the throne as my father so quaintly refers to his daily constitutional, has diminished in frequency to where I could barely remember when the last time was!

Gross, I know, but that is just the problem! We're all so puritan with our Victorian upbringings that shamed us all into thinking that normal human body functions were somehow dirty!

I know that the more irregular my bowel movements became, the more I stuck my head in the sand and only heard all the other people who complained about their bowels or rather the lack of any movement. On the other hand, there's my darling husband! As regular as clockwork. I thought he had some form of dysentery - that's how regular he was compared to me!

I bravely made an appointment with a well-known colon hydrotherapist in Brisbane and set off, not knowing quite what to expect.

Before the procedure, I had a long chat with the therapist about my medical history and lifestyle. The usual colon hydrotherapy treatment lasts about 45 minutes. Modesty is preserved at all times. During the treatment itself, you are fully covered, wearing a gown, and a sheet is placed from the waist down to maintain dignity.

In the therapists' own words, it is probably one of the most vulnerable situations most people will find themselves in and she handled it with great sensitivity and no fuss!

Most people need a series of treatments, not just one - three to six colonics are usually recommended to successfully clean six feet of large intestine often referred to as the bowel or colon. In my case I've completed 4 sessions and will now go every change of season. The procedure is assisted by a full abdominal massage, which is done by the therapist using her hands, who by the way, stays at your side throughout the entire procedure.

After each colonic treatment I noticed my skin improving. The huge boil-like acne that I've endured for years, have virtually disappeared and all that remains are scar tissue. My visits are more regular, at least daily and whilst for some that doesn't sound like much, for me it is a whole new world! Provided I drink 1.5 to 2 litres of water a day - and what a hard habit that is to acquire!

I also noticed a flatter stomach and my favorite one of all a clear mind and head. A clean body will promote a clear mind, good thoughts and actions, attracting like-minded people to you.

I chose this therapy to strengthen my immune system and get rid of the increasing heaviness that I experienced. But also because poisons from the colon can weaken and stress the heart, cause skin blemishes, paleness, psoriasis, liver spots, wrinkles and other facial conditions, irritate the lungs and cause foul breath, disturb mental function and cause senility, cause joint pain and stiffness, cause muscle weakness and severe fatigue.

And most of all, it robs you of your youth, ruin your health, and cause you to become old long before your time!

Specific conditions which respond particularly well to colon hydrotherapy are chronic or acute constipation; indigestion; gas; fatigue, especially chronic fatigue syndrome; headaches; depression; stress and nervousness; allergies; lung disorders, including asthma; skin problems, including acne, eczema and psoriasis. Colonics also stimulate the liver, kidneys, and lymphatic system to dump toxins.

If you already feel healthy and are interested in maintaining health and promoting longevity, colon hydrotherapy can help with increasing energy, maintaining proper weight and preventing disease.

Go on, try it!

Lizette le Clus-Fox is an ardent advocate for a holistic approach to health and runs http://www.wellnessthoughts.com and her ezine Wellness Thoughts provides regular in-depth information. To learn more about colon hydrotherapy visit her web site today!

Search